Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank
Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank with a modern all-metal level sensor.
If you want to replace your tank and sensor and forget about it, this is the tank for you. Every tank is hand-assembled and welded right here in the good 'ole US of A. This hand made all-aluminum coolant expansion tank features a sight glass that is visible from behind the license plate, and installs right into your original bracket. The installation couldn't be easier!
Fits: All 1983-91 Vanagon watercooled models, including Syncro. Not for Diesel!
• Made in the USA!
• Durable aluminum construction
• Includes an all-metal GoWesty level sensor - GoWesty exclusive
• Internal fluid control sensor column eliminates false low level alarms - GoWesty exclusive
• Sight glass for accurate coolant level readings (visible behind the license plate) - GoWesty exclusive
• Installs perfectly into the original tank bracket - GoWesty exclusive
• Complete kit - includes tank, pressure cap, level sensor, installation hardware, and detailed instructions
What's so bad about the orginal-style plastic tanks? For years Vanagon plastic coolant expansion tanks have been the source of great disappointment. This is not because the original design was flawed. In fact, the original tanks were known to last well over 20 years. The disappointment began when the original VW-made tanks became obsolete, and many different manufacturers started producing an aftermarket tank—most of which are... well, junk. Some tanks would literally melt the first time the engine got a little too hot. We have experimented with all of the plastic iterations that have appeared over the years. Truth be told, most any tank currently available will last a few years. But even if the tank lasts that long, all bets are off on the plastic level sensor—which has a nasty habit of cracking and blowing right out of the top of the tank! If you are willing to keep an eye on your OEM-style plastic tank, they are available on our website here. We offer the original style plastic level sender (does not fit our tank), and an all-metal GoWesty sensor kit to fit our sensor on a plastic tank (sensor is included with our metal tank).