LiFePo4 Auxiliary Battery - 50Ah
Bring your Vanagon into the modern day with a 50Ah GoWesty Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) battery.
Fits: All 1980-91 Vanagon when used with any LiFePo4 compatible charging system.
Recommended related items: Renogy DC-DC Charger, DC-DC Charger Install Kit, and our battery hold-down kit for swivel and non-swivel seats. Add solar and you are all set!
This battery is totally sealed, maintenance-free, and weighs about 1/3 less than a comparable 50Ah lead acid battery. It also has a much longer life cycle, has an integrated battery management system featuring automatic low voltage cutoff, and includes a 5-year warranty! While this battery is categorized as a 50Ah battery, it is important to note that the usable capacity will be about 1.5x that of a 50Ah rated Lead Acid battery. Generally, the rule is that about 50-70% of lead acid capacity can be accessed compared with 80-100% of LiFePo capacity. Additionally, LiFePo batteries charge faster and more efficiently! These batteries can be combined for a larger power bank or installed individually right under your driver's seat! If you're still not sold, we recommend reading this brilliant article by Victron Energy on their website.
• Dimensions: 7.8" W x 6.5" H x 6.7" D
• Weight: 12.13lbs
• Operation Life Cycles: 4000 Cycles
• Expected Life: 10 Years
• Operation Temperature: -10-50°C (14-122°F)
• Normal Charge Current: 20A
• Max Charge Current: 50A
IMPORTANT SHIPPING NOTE: Batteries ship domestically to the continental 48 states via UPS Ground shipping only (we CANNOT ship these batteries to Alaska or to Hawaii). NO expedited services (Next Day, 2nd Day, etc.) and no international shipping except to Canada via UPS Standard. Sorry, absolutely no exceptions.
There are countless, conflicting and confusing opinions on charging LiFePo4 batteries. We've boiled our advice down to some guidance that isn't too complicated:
• If you want a setup with all the bells and whistles, simply install a Renogy DC-DC charger. That single unit will quickly and properly charge our LiFePo4 batteries from either solar or alternator power, and it'll also isolate your LiFePo4 battery from your starter battery. Because it's an all-in-one box, it's an unbeatable value.
• Traditional battery isolation kits like our AUX-70x kits and the original VW auxiliary battery system, which charge the auxiliary battery at alternator voltage, will charge LiFePo4 batteries relatively slowly and won't always charge them fully. With the state of the market these days, it's a better value just to buy a DC-DC charger than to save a few bucks by using a LiFePo4 battery with a basic isolator.
• Shore chargers with a "LiFePo4 or Lithium" setting work great with these batteries.
• Solar chargers with a LiFePo4 setting will work to charge our LiFePo4 battery.
There are some simple rules to follow for making battery banks with these LiFePo4 batteries:
• These batteries must not be connected in series with each other to create a system at 24V or higher. If an individual battery became unbalanced, its BMS would cause problems.
• These batteries must not be connected in parallel with lead acid batteries unless they're separated while not charging (for example, while using one of our Auxiliary Battery Kits).
• Multiple LiFePo4 batteries can be connected in parallel to make a larger LiFePo4 battery bank a great option if you're out camping for long periods of time without charging.
Finally, here's some smart advice if you're using a smart charger: The onboard BMS in our LiFePo4 batteries is a brilliant failsafe to keep your battery in good shape for a long lifespan. If your battery isn't charging it's likely the over-discharge protection has been engaged. We've seen rare occasions when the BMS's protective features prevented other "smart" electronics, like our ProSport charger, from recognizing the battery and charging it. If your battery seems stuck in a protected state, try using another source to recharge your battery until the protection is unlatched - we've never had problems getting a battery charged back up on a "dumb" 12V charger, or our Auxiliary Battery kits. Once the BMS protection is unlatched, the smart charger will be able to charge the battery again. Take a look at the "Battery Management System Specs" tab to see the set and release points for various protections.
This product incurs an additional handling charge: $6 hazardous material box fee & $35 UPS Dangerous Goods fee
Note: The original, built-in battery chargers in all Eurovan Winnebago Campers are not capable of fully charging this type of battery. Additionally, all Eurovans have a factory "smart" alternator that doesn't steadily put out a high enough voltage to charge a LiFePo4 battery.
Two options to allow LiFePo4 installation in a Eurovan are:
• Use a solar panel and charge controller to charge your LiFePo4 battery, or
• Add a Renogy DC-DC battery charger/controller.