Gifting has never been easier
Perfect if you're short on time or are unable to deliver your gift yourself. Enter your message and select when to send it.
When it comes time to replace your starter, we strongly recommend upgrading to a new and improved GoWesty gear reduction starter. Shoot, these things are so awesome that you might consider replacing your working starter now, just so you don't end up stranded somewhere in the future.
Sold outright. No core charge.
Fits the following vehicles:
• Fits all years Vanagon with automatic transaxle
• Fits all years Buses with automatic transaxle
• Engine conversions with automatic transaxle - See 'Fit Notes' tab
• Fits all 1968-75 Bus with manual transaxle
• More powerful
• More reliable
• Exclusive mounting flange ensures ample clearance
• Exclusive bolted-on trigger wire design
• Self-supported shaft design
• 1kW Standard Output for all waterboxers up to 2300cc displacement, or...
• 1.4kW High Output for waterboxers over 2450cc displacement, engine conversions, and sub-zero climates
These exclusive GoWesty starters are way more powerful and reliable. These are not like other starters you might see offered elsewhere. Our exclusive GoWesty design features a bolted-on trigger wire (circuit 50) for maximum reliability. Not only is the less-than-secure original connection at the solenoid eliminated, but the connection to the factory wiring is relocated to the engine compartment where it is much easier to access—and it will stay clean and dry. In addition, it features a self-supported shaft design: The original Bosch starter for manual transaxles is not a self-supported design. Instead, it relies on a small bushing that is pressed into the bell housing of the transaxle. This bushing is very difficult to replace with the engine in place. Our new starter design for both A/T and M/T has this bushing built-in, which is what makes it a self-supported design, eliminating one possible failure point that is difficult to diagnose and repair.
For the full story on the development of this starter—and our lengthy experience with various iterations of Vanagon and Bus starters—we encourage you to read this article.
NOTE: Don’t be fooled! GoWesty starters are proprietary—you will not find this starter anywhere else. Sure, there are other vendors selling the same brand of gear reduction starter, but they’re not the same higher-output units we carry. Also, we have ensured the correct body positioning specific to 2WD or 4WD Vanagon application. Also, our exclusive starters feature a unique high-reliability electrical connection you won’t find elsewhere. That’s the GoWesty way.
• Features 4.44:1 gear reduction ratio
• Smaller, more efficient motor than Bosch design
• Produces 1.0kw in standard output form, matching the OEM output, or...
• 1.4kw which is 40% more power than the Bosch design, yet draws 20% less amperage!
• Some Buses and air-cooled Vanagons had a second wire that attaches to the starter that is EFI related. This wire needs to be connected to the black signal wire, circuit #50 “crank” signal.
This starter is NOT warranted when used in conjunction with engine conversions (Bostig, Subaru, etc.). Note: GoWesty high-performance engines are not "conversions."