Heavy-Duty 930 CV Axle Kit (Manual Transmission)
This kit includes all the parts you need to switch over to our GoWesty heavy-duty rear drive axles. These fit Vanagon 2WD or 4WD (with manual transmission only). This GoWesty built kit gets you higher articulating, super durable, and much larger Porsche 930 Turbo sized CV joints, along with super strong chromoly axles. (Note: Chromoly steel, a blend of chromium and molybdenum, is considerably stronger and more durable than standard 1020 steel.) These axles feature a special torsion bar design: they are engineered to twist or "spool up" to prevent shock loads (and the associated damage) to the drivetrain—and also to prevent the axles from snapping under extreme loads. We have also added an extra snap ring groove on the inside of the CV joint to prevent the axle from floating too far in or out and causing noise and damage due to knocking on the drive flanges. This kit comes with all the parts you need to upgrade one of the weaker links in your Vanagon.
• Two (2) axles
• Four (4) German GKN/Loebro CV joints
• Four (4) CV boot/flange assemblies
• Eight (8) snap rings
• Two (2) inner drive flanges
• Two (2) inner CV flange cap seals
• Two (2) outer CV flanges/stub axle assemblies:
• Choose from NEW forged & heat-treated steel or REBUILT. (Rebuilt are sold exchange, $200 core charge each.)
• Two (2) axle nut cotter pins
• 24 bolts
NOTE: We do not include grease with this kit. You can choose your favorite grease to use when assembling. We recommend the excellent Redline CV-2 Grease. Pick some up in the related products below (two tubs will provide enough to do the job and have some left over for other uses).
Assembly required. Some installation tips (including important torque specs) are included—but not complete installation instructions. You will need the proper tools and experience to install these axles. If you don't feel 100% confident in your ability to do this job, please have a professional shop perform the installation.
• The larger 930 CV joint will not clear the trailing arm with the bearing hub bolted in place. It will be necessary to at least loosen the four bolts that hold the bearing hub and tilt it so that the larger stub axle can be installed. We highly recommend that the rear hubs be removed entirely—cleaned, inspected, and re-lubricated, since removal of the old stub axle and installation of the new one will likely introduce dirt into an otherwise sealed bearing system.
• The fit between the inner splines of the new CV joint and out splines of the axle are not as tight as the original (smaller) CV joints and axles. This is normal!
• Only three circlips per axle are used to constrain the CV joints. The transmission side CV joint needs both an inner and an outer circlip. The wheel side CV joint only receives a retaining clip on the wheel side of the CV.
• We recommend using a pair of snap ring pliers to replace the CV drive flanges on the transaxle.
If you are purchasing the REBUILT stub axles, you will be charged a core deposit of $200, refundable when you return your old stub axles to us.
Please call our customer service team for a return authorization number prior to shipping your core: (888) 469-3789.