GoWesty 2200cc Engine
USUALLY SHIPS IN 1-2 WEEKS
This is the smallest displacement engine we build for all 1983-91 Vanagons.
Here is what you get with our 2200cc engine:
• 8.8:1 compression, with 102 hp & 135 ft.lbs of torque when fitted with GW-EFI.
• Engine cases (block), machined as needed
• Heli-coil installed in case to prevent drain plug oil leak
• New cylinder head studs as required
• Crankshaft machined as needed
• Connecting rods rebuilt and precisely installed
- Large end re-sized and custom fitted to each rod journal
- Small end re-bushed and fitted to standard wrist pin bushing per factory specifications
- Length matched to each other and set to factory length
- Rod bolts replaced with OEM non-stretch bolts
- Balanced to each other, and end to end, to factory spec or better
• Camshaft re-ground with custom GoWesty profile
- Guaranteed to pass tail pipe emissions test in all 50 states
- Grind selected for good idle and low-end torque
• New hydraulic lifters
• All new tappet adjustment screw lash caps - as needed
• All new bearings: main, rod, and camshaft
• New, high-volume oil pump, machined to clearance cover and accept o-ring, installed with bolts instead of nuts
• New proprietary GoWesty cast pistons
- Cast exclusively for GoWesty by Silv-O-Lite Pistons, USA
- State of the art "slipper skirt" design
- Molybdenum disulfide ("moly") coated skirts
- State of the art anti-friction/clearance control coating on skirts
• Precision bored and diamond-honed cylinders in GoWesty proprietary torque plate
• GoWesty DOES NOT use the original German cylinder heads (for the full cylinder head story click here)
- We use only AMC-brand (made in Spain) cylinder head castings
- Much heavier-duty casting compared to the original German heads
- High-quality OEM-style intake and exhaust valves
- De-burred intake and exhaust ports, precision four-angle valve grind
- OE German-quality OEM-style intake and exhaust valves
• New OEM quality GRAF brand water pump
• New GoWesty Upgraded Alternator Bracket Kit
• V-belt pulley, coolant x-tube, connection hose, and steel elbow installed
• New correct oil pressure switches installed in their correct locations
• Cleaned oil cooler installed (2.1 applications only)
• Reconditioned flywheel or flexplate installed and crankshaft endplay properly set
• Valve covers, intake manifolds, and plenum re-painted and installed (exchange)
• Distributor drive installed in correct position
• Correct spark plugs installed with anti-seize compound
• Crated and ready to ship
• This engine OK to run on 87 or higher octane fuel and will pass tail pipe emissions test
Read "Break-In Guidelines: All Waterboxer Engines."
If you have a 1983-85 Vanagon, we also offer a 2300cc engine.
EMISSIONS INFORMATION: This Gowesty 2200cc Engine (GVW-2200) has received an official California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order #D-786-3, and is smog-legal in all 50 states.
NOTE: If you select 1983-1985 year range, you will receive an engine designed for the 1983-1985 Volkswagen Vanagon originally equipped with a waterboxer engine code DH and fitted with Bosch Digijet fuel injection system and all original manufacturer emissions control components. If you select 1986-1991 year range, you will receive an engine designed for the 1986-1991 Volkswagen Vanagon originally equipped with a waterboxer engine code MV and fitted with Bosch Digifant fuel injection system and all original manufacturer emissions control components.
The item you are purchasing is a long block only and does not include any fuel injection or emission control components—all of which are necessary to complete the entire engine assembly. It is the responsibility of the installer to ensure all fuel injection and emission control components are present and in proper working order. All adjustments and settings are to be performed and set to the original manufacturer specifications to ensure compliance with emissions regulations.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Engine failure due to improper installation, overheating, incorrect timing, insufficient oil, contaminated oil, oil additives, outright abuse, etc., will not be honored by warranty. GoWesty strongly recommends replacing your entire cooling system—this engine is not warrantied against damage resulting from overheating. Please read this article for more information.
|WARRANTY TYPE||LABOR COVERAGE||PARTS COVERAGE||COST|
|Standard||48/48,000, pro-rated, $60/hour||Retail cost, pro-rated||No charge|
12 months/12,000 miles: 100% coverage (up to $115/hour)
36 months/36,000 miles: Split 50/50 by vehicle owner and GoWesty
12 months/12,000 miles: 100% coverage
|Road Warrior||100% coverage for 48 months/48,000 miles
||100% coverage for 48 months/48,000 miles
Cancellation Policy: GoWesty puts a lot of time and energy into packaging your rebuilt engine. If you purchase an engine from us—and then decide to cancel the order within 30 days—we will refund you in full, minus any transportation fees and a 5% restocking fee. If you decide to cancel your order after 30 days, our normal refund policy applies (you can view that by clicking here).
Shipping: These engines ship truck freight only. The closer the destination address is to our facility in California, the lower the freight cost will be. If a forklift/loading dock is available, please choose the freight option without a lift-gate. If a forklift is NOT available, please choose the option requesting a lift-gate. If the wrong freight option is chosen, a surcharge of up to $95 for a lift-gate truck will be added to the shipping cost. Please check with your local installer prior to completing your online order. In addition, there is a residential delivery surcharge of $100.
As of May 2023, return freight will be charged separately when you are ready to return your engine core to GoWesty.
If you live in Canada, please click here for important broker information.
FOR INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS: PLEASE CLICK HERE TO EMAIL OUR SALES DEPARTMENT FOR A FAST, ACCURATE SHIPPING QUOTE ON YOUR ENGINE ORDER.
Cancellation policy: GoWesty puts a lot of time and energy into packaging your rebuilt engine. If you purchase an engine from us—and then decide to cancel the order within 30 days—we will refund you in full, minus any transportation fees and a 5% restocking fee. If you decide to cancel your order after 30 days, our normal refund policy applies (you can view that by clicking here).
Core Exchange: $1500 CORE CHARGE POLICY: Our engines are sold on an exchange basis. We expect an engine like the one you purchased to be traded in. For instance, you cannot trade in a 1.9-liter waterboxer core and purchase a 2.1-liter engine and expect the entire $1500 core deposit back. We deduct the following amounts from the core charge refund: Engine cases: $750, or part thereof for repairs as needed. Head studs: $50 per stud to a maximum of $750. Crankshaft: $250. Rods: $50/each (and so on with each component). So, for example, if your engine cases are no good (i.e.: too badly pitted), but the rest of the parts are OK, you will receive a refund of $250. If everything is in good shape, except all head studs have to be replaced, you will get $250 back. Or, if you send in no core at all, you will forfeit your entire $1500 core deposit. Read our Core Return Worksheet.
To return your core, please visit our return portal. Enter your order number and postal code, and choose core return to receive an RMA and return instructions.
Also, we ask that you please read the following article: "Engine Core Charge: A Necessary Evil"